Sunday, January 11, 2009

Lost or How To Find Something Not So Familiar

Last year, I found myself finally captivated by television: Six Feet Under, Dexter, Weeds (though this show toiled in season 3), Damages, and Pushing Daisies help me through winter. This year, I haven't been as avid with television, but with the wonderful ending to The Shield, I don't believe anything will top it.

So what have I done? I've something I wouldn't typically do, but I'm finally getting around to the sensation that is Lost. Lost Seasons 1 and 2 had a captivating premise, but as time went on, I found that the writing had all the elements of aggravation. Flashbacks used to predictably push the narrative forward, side episodes not tied to the more interesting main stories, and characters very easy to dislike. It took about 6 months for me to finally finish Lost Season 2.

Something happened at the end of season 2 that made me a believer: the show finally stepped into territory I had never seen in television. Science fiction twists with shady unknown characters I haven't seen since X-Files.

While parts of the season 3 have suffered the same problems as the first two seasons, Lost Season 3 excels when it unveils a little more of the mystery: the Others' past, the mysteries of the Island(s), and flashbacks for the main characters that add a little more depth.

More Kate and Sawyer in cages...



More Jack in tense surgical moments....


Less oddly placed flashbacks in the middle of the best the main story has ever offered showing minor character's manufactured and laborious pain...



I'm hoping the shorter seasons of 4 - 6 allowed the writers to cut out the excess fat of monotonous side stories and continue to find something not so familiar.

No comments:

Post a Comment